Identity Theft

What to do if someone steals your ID

Identity Theft: False Judgments

A Publication of the Privacy Rights Clearinghouse

20. False civil and criminal judgments.

Sometimes victims of identity theft are wrongfully accused of crimes that were committed by the imposter.

If you are wrongfully arrested or prosecuted for criminal charges, contact the police department and the court in the jurisdiction of the arrest. Also contact your state's Department of Justice and the FBI to ask how to clear your name.

If a civil judgment is entered in your name for your imposter's actions, contact the court where the judgment was entered and report that you are a victim of identity theft.

For more on what to do if you become the victim of criminal identity theft, see PRC Fact Sheet 17g,



Multiple Sclerosis

In the UK, approx 70,000 people have Multiple Sclerosis.

Safe Surfing

If you are new to the internet and perhaps personal computing, then you need to know how to protect your computer while you are surfin' the 'net. The following steps should help you enjoy your experience rather than fall victim to hackers or viruses... Read More